Wrinkle fillers are a more affordable and painless alternative to injections. Although many promise an overall improvement in the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines with continued, long-term use, the instant effect of wrinkle fillers is generally very temporary and usually lasts only 4 to 12 hours. The effectiveness of particular wrinkle fillers and individual results vary from person to person and depend, in part, on the following:
- The general condition of one's complextion
- The location, number and depth of wrinkles and fine lines
- Proper skin preparation (cleansing and exfoliation)
- Proper application of the wrinkle filler
- Other skin care products (such as moisturizers) that are used simultaneously
- The type of foundation (liquid, powder, mineral) that are used simultaneously and their method of application
- The climate, such as excessive humidity or aridness
- The level of activity, such as engaging in sports that would cause perspiration
- Adopt and adhere to a good skincare program. Topical fillers work best on properly cleansed and exfoliated skin.
- Hydrate skin from the inside by drinking plenty of water. Water helps to plump up skin, requiring less filler.
- Get plenty of sleep and rest. Adequate amounts of sleep naturally minimizes the appearance of wrinkles.
- Fillers do not take the place of moisturizers. For best results, use a moisturizer that is designed to work with the filler, generally available from the same manufacturer.
- Follow the application instructions carefully. How and in what order (before or after moisturizer) you apply a particular filler makes a big difference in the final result.
- Liquid foundations do not work well with some fillers. If you use a liquid foundation, try applying it with a cosmetic sponge for better results.
- Try using a good quality pressed or loose mineral powder foundation. If you use pressed powder foundation, apply it with a facial powder brush.
- Feed your skin by eating a well-balanced, healthy diet. Fruits and vegetables rich in vitamins, minerals and other nutrients improve the general appearance of skin, requiring less foundation, concealers and make-up.